Monday, May 21, 2012 by jhblogger
Here are few tips to improving your communication skills as a caregiver:
1. Breath- this helps to relax and allows time for you to gather your thoughts
2. Listen- really listen to what the person is saying, and determine what you think the person is hearing you say
3.Use body language to improve the conversation- eye contact, nonverbal cues, and gestures set the tone. Demonstrating or pointing may help them to understand what you are saying.
4. Slow down and speak clearly without raising your voice
5. Talk directly to the person- in between multi-tasking as a caregiver, take time for one to one conversation. Face the person and sit or bend down to their level.
6. Preserve their self esteem- Include your loved one in conversations at the doctors, with family, and friends. Try not to talk about the person when they are present. Also, do not speak down to the person. Conversations should be simple, but on an adult level.
What are some tips that have worked for you when communicating with your loved one?